Monday, September 05, 2005

iPod Moments

I'm going to try and keep things light around here. I don't really have anything profound to say about the events of the past couple of weeks that hasn't been said with far more eloquence by others.

As I'm writing this entry I just had one of those wondrous iPod moments that never could have happened before the little white elephant was launched by the folks from Cupertino. I was listening to "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" by Dionne Warwick, which was followed immediately by "This Is Not A Photograph" by Mission Of Burma. Even in the CD age, when we had the ability to hit the shuffle button on our changers, we would have never conceived of a segue from sophisticated Burt Bacharach pop to anarchic 1980s post-punk. Today, such a segue makes perfect sense and seems exactly right. The revolution of the iPod is that there's no thought involved in picking the five or six CDs that we were limited to before; there's now the opportunity to experience the entire library of hundreds of discs in a way that provides a stream of consciousness soundtrack to everyday life that's both random and familiar. This is what the new "Jack"-formatted radio stations in many major markets are trying to achieve to some extent. It'll be interesting to see if they are able to sustain the novelty over the long term.

I saw a recent photo of Paul McCartney the other day and for the first time was struck by how old he looked. While he looked very good for a man in his early sixties, it was very difficult from looking at him to see the young man - the Beatle - who along with his mates changed so many things, and so many people. I actually saw a Beatle in the flesh once. George Harrison passed by me in a hallway, sometime in the early 1990s. I was very cool and made eye contact with one of those "hey, how ya doin'!" looks. Of course, I will always stick to my belief that George acknowledged me in kind, although it's quite possible that nothing of the sort happened, and he just looked straight ahead towards his destination. Anyway, no one can ever take away the fact that I actually saw a Beatle!

Well, it's that time again. I need to get to bed so I can get up bright and early for another exciting day at the office. More to come.

TTFN.

Mister Ray

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate & Spencer said...

Well,Mister Ray, I will say I may not own an Ipod and I've seen a Beatle live and in person, but I do LOVE cartoons. I probably don't have the same ones tucked away in my memory but I recall some that I looked forward to watching every Saturday of my youth... or at least for the season they were on. Let me take a stab at listing a handful of the memorable ones in my life:

Space Ghost (not that asinine Coast to Coast version either... the real one, with the twins and their monkey and that planet with the Herculoids)

Flintstones and Jetsons, of course.

Schoolhouse Rock

Rocky and Bullwinkle (I like the episodic nature... it's also part of why I liked the Looney Tunes cartoons as well)

Animaniacs (this one was a cartoon of my college years, not my childhood, but great nonetheless)

Jonny Quest (the old version, not the new episodes)

Scooby Doo (episodes like the ones that feature Don Knotts and Mama Cass)

The Smurfs (yes, I had a few of the collectible figurines...)

Spiderman and His Amazing Friends (remember Firestorm and Iceman?)

Kidd Video (I didn't particularly care for this one, yet it's one I remember well. For some reason I always get the song "Owner of a Lonely Heart" stuck in my head when I think of this show.)

Come to think of it there's a whole lot of Hannah Barbera action going on here... I just loved all their shows... Snagglepuss, Auggie Doggie etc.

(Though I don't think of these as favs I will admit to watching such shows as The Snorks, Monchichis, and Gummi Bears)

--whew... that's an entire blog entry in and of itself... sorry 'bout that. I got carried away. (sheepish grin!)

--Kate

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home